Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Manneken Pis

Sunday was a great day. It was mid forties and it allowed us to finally chip away the inch plus of ice that coated the driveway and the sidewalk from the ice storm two or three weeks ago. It helped melt the last of the snow from the roof and it reduced significantly the size of the ice dams in the gutters. The leak in the dining room window reappeared, but I was expecting that and had containers ready. I was really pleased and hoping that things would melt and dry out.

And then about eight o'clock at night, the rain started. This had happened in the past, so I wandered into the basement to see if we had any leaks.

Going to the corner where it was the worst last time showed a spurt of water shooting across the room and onto the floor. It reminded me of Manneken Pis.

Forty gallons of water and two hours later, Ms. Huis and I moved everything up off of the floor and went to bed. We didn't know how long it was going to rain and couldn't stay up all night anyway. Monday morning showed some water in the basement. More than I wanted, but less than I feared. At least the basement floor got a good mopping with clean, soft rain water (which it desperately needed).

Here's hoping that we don't get anymore rain until after the snow has melted and the ground has thawed.

No comments: