Friday, August 26, 2011

Why Must I Do Your Job?

This is a rant. Warning issued.

Three years ago we had the new roof put on the house. At that time I told the roofer to order enough shingles to shingle our garage. I also told them we would wait to re-roof the garage. It wasn't in the budget. The main roof, gutters, electrical work, sewer line and tuckpointing had tapped us out.

So for the last three years I've been tripping over 53 bundles of shingles in my garage, waiting for the job to bubble up on the priority list. I was set to do the tear off and shingling next weekend (Labor Day weekend), so I started to put together a list of all the items needed. When I got to the part of the list called "shingles", I put down a check and then started wondering...

My garage roof is 1,316 square feet. Each bundle of shingles covers 20 square feet. See the problem? I'm short 256 square feet of shingles, or 13 bundles. Can someone please explain to me why I must do everybody's job? Why do I bother hiring people when they can't even do basic [expletive] math?

20 * 53 < 1,316

Must I check everything?

Un[expletive]believable. So now I'm stuck with 53 bundles of shingles that I wasted money on and have been tripping over for three years. The shingles were special ordered from the west coast and I paid a fortune to get them shipped here. I put a call into the roofer to see if he has any ideas on how to make this work. Got his voice mail and I'm waiting for a call back. I'm not confident.

Hopefully he's learned how to do his [expletive] job in the last three years.

End rant.

No comments: