Friday, February 15, 2008

Angry? Try This

Sometimes when I've had a bad day and people are doing things that really make me angry, I find it useful to do the following exercise.

I imagine that I'm sitting in an interview room in a police station and a very angry detective is shouting at me. He asks me why I murdered the person I'm mad at. What possibly could have driven me over the edge?

And I reply,

"He told me my documentation was incomplete and I had to rewrite it."
or
"He won't use schema names in his database coding."
or
"She crashed the server."
or even
"She left the butter out, again."

The whole situation seems so ludicrous that I just have to smile. I also find that saying the word "monkey" in place of any swear words that come to mind adds some levity to the situation (and it keeps me from swearing).

3 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

I'd leave a comment, but I'd better go and see if the butter is in the frig....

;)

Allknowingjen said...

I love these little glimpses into how your brain works... I definitely have to try the police interview one.

DiploWhat said...

I say "crappa-tappa" or "sugar plum" a lot in class. My classmates think it's funny.