Monday, August 4, 2008

Cranky

The in-laws were here for the weekend and we had a great time with them. We went to the Farmer's market, did some car shopping, went to the beach, and just caught up with them. Much fun was had by all. Not much got done on the house, but as my wife keeps telling me, "It can't be about the house all the time." She's right.

So...back to the house. I received a call this morning from the plasterer that they would be out tomorrow at 6:45 am to start fixing the ceiling. This should have made me happy, as the ceiling is getting fixed. It just made me cranky. I left a message with him over a week ago that we wanted him to do the work. One week ago he called me back to tell me that he would schedule us in and let us know when he'd be available for the work.

Then after a week he calls me to tell me he'll be in at 6:45 am the next day? What kind of crap is that? He can't plan out any further than 18 hours? If he would have told me this on Friday, we could have done all the prep work over the weekend. There's trim work that needs to come down and a light that needs to be adjusted before they can plaster. Now I've got to spend tonight working on it. I'm tempted to leave the plasterer with all the prep work, and I would if I wasn't afraid that they would ding up the trim or screw something up.

My experience with the plumber and the sewer replacement last fall makes me suspicious of tradesman working on anything except their core competency. It's cynical, but since that first project, it's a philosophy that's worked well.

No comments: